Special Message from PRSA-NY President
Thursday, January 3, 2019
Dear PRSA-NY members,
I hope that 2019 is off to a good start for you. I’m excited about the year ahead. The PRSA-NY leadership team has already been working on big plans.
As communications professionals we prepare and disseminate information. It is a huge responsibility. I find it very interesting that Dictionary.com named “misinformation” as its 2018 word of the year. According to Dictionary.com, misinformation can be spread with or without intent. Dictionary.com said that its selection of “misinformation” was a “call to action” to be vigilant in the battle against fake news, to encourage fact checking not only by the media but by consumers of information and to encourage improved media literacy. And indeed it is a call to action for PR and communications professionals. Our profession values facts, accuracy, careful reporting, transparency, a free press and ethical conduct.
This year PRSA-NY will be examining ethics in many ways. We will post blogs by industry leaders, create an ethics quiz on our website, offer commentary via social media and use our voice in other platforms. One of the highlights will be a major event called Truth on Trial that will debate and discuss the relevancy of truth in our profession.
PRSA-NY is the source for professional knowledge and networking for communications professionals in the media capital of the world and we plan to deliver on that promise with a wide array of some 20 programs to serve our members and all constituents in the metropolitan area including:
- A new series of our popular Meet the Media (MTM) events will feature top tier journalists. Our first MTM event, January 23rd will bring us “Inside WNBC TV” for a studio tour and discussion with anchor Michael Gargiulo. For more information click here.
- We’ll be expanding our networking events, beginning with our first networking social on January 10th from 6-8:30 at an historic landmark. For more information click here.
- We will help young professionals develop their skills and expand their knowledge by having industry leaders share insights and information on the latest trends and technology from artificial intelligence to the changing media landscape.
- For Young Professionals we will offer career guidance, skills development and our exclusive Mentoring Program to help young pros navigate their careers and get ahead.
- PRSA-NY’s dynamic Meet Ups will continue in 2019 covering hot topics in great venues.
Of course, a highlight of the year will be our coveted Big Apple Awards and Gala at which we will recognize the most innovative and strategic campaigns in dozens of categories. And we’ll also present our 15 Under 35 Awards which honors outstanding new leaders.
While we’re seeking to heighten the conversation about ethics, we will continue our important work in diversity and inclusion in many ways such as creating a Diversity Advisory Panel, organizing special events and forging new partnerships.
We will also be creating new partnerships and alliances with a wide range of organizations to increase our reach, programming and services.
I am looking forward to an exciting and dynamic year and hope you will join PRSA-NY and take full advantage of all our great offerings.
Best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.
President, PRSA New York