PRSA-NY Board Member Spotlight: Alan Marcus
Thursday, April 19, 2018
Posted by: PRSA-NY
by David Graubard
Alan Marcus serves PRSA-NY as Treasurer. A valued member of PRSA-NY’s Board, Alan guides and influences multiple initiatives and projects to enhance both members and sponsors’ experiences – all while managing the fiscal aspects of the chapter. As a Treasurer should, Alan instills confidence and direction in a humble, effective way. Not surprisingly, Alan’s employer, Shift Communications recently recognized his leadership skills and promoted him as head of the New York office. Below are high-level professional tips from the front lines of PR from Alan:
“The Marcus Five”: Tips for PR Pros relating to the financial management and project management
1. Be transparent with your clients. Be upfront about any and all related costs for a project or assignment. There’s nothing that a client dislikes more than unpleasant financial surprises.
2. Details matter. Especially when it comes to managing a budget; be thorough and think of every possible item for your budget. Even the smallest items have a cost, and those costs will add up.
3. Forecast for the unexpected. No matter how great a project planner or budget manager you are, you need to expect the unexpected. Build in contingency budgets and miscellaneous buckets for costs that may arise unexpectedly.
4. Get it in writing. Verbal approvals on budgets and projects are OK, but when all is said and done, you need a clear paper trail with clear client approvals on budgets.
5. Aim high. Don’t assume you’ll be pleasing your client by forecasting a budget on the lower end. You’re better off asking for more and having leftover funds at the end.
Lastly, we asked Alan what his thoughts are on why PRSA-NY is such a benefit for professionals in the industry: “Being a member of PRSA-NY is a valuable opportunity to continue to grow your skill set - from improving your media relations chops and strategic planning skills, to helping to shape new programs for the next generation of PR pros.”
As managing director of SHIFT Communications’ NY office, Alan provides public relations counsel that supports strategic business and marketing initiatives for the office’s consumer technology, lifestyle and B2B brands. A PR practitioner for 24 years, Alan helps his clients drive business results by developing strategic, cutting-edge PR and social media campaigns.